Monday, February 24, 2014

I Pledge Allegiance To You, Chicago

I pledge allegiance to you, Chicago.
I pledge allegiance to your four starred flag
To your slanted streets and movable bridges.
To your buildings scraping the sky by and by.
To your park granting a water fountain space.

I pledge allegiance to you, Chicago,
To your wind swept politicians, newsmen
Rooted in subterranean taverns, 
Colorful mayors preserving disorder 
City that works for those willing to work it.

I  pledge allegiance to you, Chicago,
To your screeching el trains that loop around
To your crazy lake and backwards river.
A constant stream of ethnicities.
A tangle of flags, churches and eateries.

I pledge allegiance to you, Chicago.
This broad shouldered woman loves you.
Many faceted rough cut diamond
You've got combustible character.
My fiery city, second to none.  

No comments:

Post a Comment