Monday, January 28, 2019

A Mad Magician's Hat

Note:  Back in fall of 1993, I wrote this poem for our wedding invitation.  We included a picture of Bullwinkle J. Moose in top hat and tails. What inspired this poem was months earlier, I placed an ad in the Chicago Reader which began with the statement, "Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a romance out of this ad."  Lo and behold, the man who was destined to be my husband wrote me a letter.  I called him.  We agreed to meet and, the rest, as they say, is history. 

We stepped out of a mad magician's hat
cobwebbed from lack of use but still
possessing some of that spectacular dust.
Hokey smokes, what hath Bullwinkle wrought?
Ah, but see the Fairy Godmother
giving us a conspiratorial wink
as she lurks behind a thick book of spells.
Shh, don't tell the poor moose he has nothing
more magical up his sleeve than his own
merely moosely arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment